Friday, June 09, 2006

Eating Disorders Conference in Barcelona

I'm here in Barcelona at a conference on Eating Disorders and I'm exhausted. The sessions start from 830- 930am and go on till 7pm.

On Wednesday, I was at a teaching session on what is categorised officially as Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS for short)- basically, everything except Anorexia Nervosa or Bulemia Nervosa. There was Binge Eating Disorder, Night Eating Syndrome (with various sub-categories) and Purging Disorder (which can be Bulemia-like or Anorexia-like). At the end of the session, I felt that almost 100% of all the women referred to me have an eating disorder, as do about 80% of all the women I know, and about 20% of the men.

Yesterday, there were some fantastic presentations and workshops in the area of pregnancy, early development, infant feeding and gene/ environment interactions.

And today, my brain was overloaded with ED in childhood/ adolesence and prevention programs.

I'll post summaries of the most interesting stuff as I go through my notes, but suffice it to say that we're massively under-resourced for ED in Ireland.

Of course, Barcelona's great. Staying at the B Hotel- great value, good location & interesting modern decor. Had some pretty good tapas last night in the Barri Gotic off las Ramblas, and am looking forward to a night at Guru restaurant/ club later on, as recommended by my other half, who is always astonishingly up to date on what's happening in any number of cities. He calls it research. And here am I thinking that 'Protein repletion post-refeeding in female patients with severve low-weight Anorexia Nervosa' is research.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home