Saturday, June 10, 2006

Guru, Barcelona

I experienced a series of firsts on Friday night in Barcelona. Fairly mundane firsts, it must be said (before anyone gets excited), but firsts all the same...

I found my destination straight off without any detour or stress.
I was there ahead of my dinner partner.
I was waiting for close to an hour and didn't get irritated.
I was the ONLY person in a popular restaurant aside from the staff!

Guru bar/restaurant/club at Nou de la Rambla 22, Barcelona, is very cool indeed. There is a long narrow bar on the way in, where they play mellow, ambient tunes and have an excellent cocktail list.
At the back is the restaurant, a grotto-like room, with white 'palm tree' columns and hanging globe shaped lights. The lighting is low and a pinkish neon glow and concrete flooring adds to the surreal grotto feel. The furniture is completely white too and ultra-modern, with leather banquettes down the sides of the room for larger groups and tables of four in 2 rows down the middle.

The menu is nicely straight-forward, with a choice of 4 appetisers, 6 starters, 6 mains and 4 desserts. I had the guacamole while waiting , then a pumpkin and rocket risotto to start followed by fillet steak with asparagus and delicious waxy potato and brie stack (called something much more appetising on the menu, but plenty of cava reserva and a glass or 2 or chilled rose muddled my memory).

The empty dining room filled up with a funky stylish crowd of mixed ages, and from 1230 or so, the central tables were cleared back and the restaurant gradually morphed into a laid back loungey club. The bar outside had been buzzing from about 1030 too, with the separate DJ there revving things up by degrees.

We had to go before things really integrated, but it's open till 6 apparently, and I'd definitely love to go back with a larger crowd; though I'd start later..... and I'd make sure that no-one ended up in Guru bar on Josep Anselm Clav by mistake......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home